the musings of a tail wagging, ear chewing, squirrel stalking, cheese eating, back wriggling, stick munching mutt

A South London Vizsla... in Washington DC

Hello. I really am four, although no-one ever believes me because I didn't do as much growing up as I could have done. My real name is Velveteen Magyar du Causse-Diege (I was born in France) but I prefer Maggie for short. When I'm not playing in the park or looking out the window, I like to sit on my cushion and think great thoughts. I'll try and share some of them on here.

Monday 2 June 2008

A watery weekend

Hi y'all. Do I sound American yet? I'm trying. 

I'm also doing some exploring, in the manner of a Hungarian Columbus. This weekend I discovered the Potomac River, at a place called Great Falls. 

And inspired by Buster B. Brown, the renowned canine scientist and investigator, I conducted an experiment to confirm that water does in fact have the same buoyancy in America as in Britain. Evidently there was some doubt about this, as I wasn't allowed off my lead. All the better for pulling dad in to join me for a swim... 

My next discovery took place on the banks of another of America's fine rivers, the Shenandoah. Here I unearthed what I think must surely have been The Biggest Stick In The World, and persuaded mum to throw it for me. I will be submitting photographic evidence to the Guinness Book of Records, and fully expect to be published as a record breaker in due course.  

All in all, a highly satisfactory weekend! 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it safe and sound. Looks like you are having a brilliant time already. I am so envious that you get to chase 3 types of squirrels.

I will have to move you onto my US friends list now.

Wishing you the best of luck
Zig

MAGGIE - aged 4, honest said...

Thanks Zig. Word in the park is there are things here that are even better than squirrels. They're called 'skunks' and apparently if you roll in their wee, the smell hangs around for weeks and weeks and weeks. Can't wait to meet one...

M

Anonymous said...

Wow. A perfume that lasts for weeks now that is what I call perfection. What if your owners wash you? Does it still smell if so I want some skunks here.

Good luck in your search for skunks

MAGGIE - aged 4, honest said...

I don't think skunk washes out. Not with any soap known to humans anyway. Ha! Will let you know if I find one.

Charlie said...

Oooh skunks sound just perfect. I managed to roll in fox poo three times in three days on my holidays... The water in the USA looks more fun than the water here. Perfect for keeping you cool on those hot summer days!

Laila said...

My mom told me that you have to take a bath in tomato paste to get rid of the skunk perfume. Pretty gross if you ask me.

My mom also wanted me to share a link to a bunch of off-lease dog parks in the Maryland / DC area:
http://www.ecoanimal.com/dogfun/maryland.html

McKee Besher is another good one if you like to go hunting, but my newest favorite is in Annapolis (Quiet Waters). It's a bit of a drive, but the dog beach is totally worth it.

Hope you're enjoying the US so far.

Kisses,
Laila

MAGGIE - aged 4, honest said...

Hey thanks, Laila. I've been trying to persuade Mum to take me to the beach, but she hasn't been able to find one that allows dogs during the summer months. Quiet Waters here I come!