the musings of a tail wagging, ear chewing, squirrel stalking, cheese eating, back wriggling, stick munching mutt

A South London Vizsla... in Washington DC

Hello. I really am four, although no-one ever believes me because I didn't do as much growing up as I could have done. My real name is Velveteen Magyar du Causse-Diege (I was born in France) but I prefer Maggie for short. When I'm not playing in the park or looking out the window, I like to sit on my cushion and think great thoughts. I'll try and share some of them on here.

Saturday 8 March 2008

Time flies. But I'm not sure I want to...

Hi everyone. Blimey this year's going quickly. I've been really busy - checking out different vintages of fox poo on Wimbledon Common, trying to resist the urge to chase the deer at Richmond (mum thinks I'm getting better, but I'm just lulling her into a false sense of security...), giving squirrel stalking displays to Japanese tourists in Hyde Park, and generally being a top dog about town. 


Oh yeah, and I spent three not-so-busy weeks in February being 'in season'. Glad that only comes round once a year. It's so tedious! Wouldn't be so bad if I was allowed a boyfriend, but no, I have to stay home, stay on my lead, and stay away from the boys. Apparently things might be different next year... 

We've got some quite exciting news as well. Or at least, I think it's exciting. We're moving to America for a while! Mum's got a new job over there, in Washington DC, so come the summer I'll have a whole new continent to explore. Hopefully I'll get to meet some American Vizslas. I've heard they tend to be a bit smaller than British ones, which is good cos it means people might stop mistaking me for a puppy. It's getting kind of embarrassing now I'm three and a half. I'm a bit worried about how I get there, though. It would be a pretty long way to walk, so dad says I've got to fly. But I don't like the sound of that. I mean, I'm not a bird, am I? So if anyone out there has flown before, and has any tips, please let me know... 


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggie's Mum,

As you have written that Maggie's season plans may be different next year I presume you are planning on breeding from her.

Please read below and if every question is answered yes then have fun breeding from Maggie. If any answer no then please reconsider as breeding can have some disasterous consequences (as you can see from Radio's blog).

1. Has Maggie had all relevant health testing (hip scoring and eye testing as a minimum).

2. Is Maggie a good specimen of the breed (has she been campaigned at shows or in the working field)? There is a reason for the breed standard - to ensure that the dog is able to do a solid days work and be fit and healthy.

3. Do you know all about Maggie's breeding lines and have a complimentary stud dog lined up so that any faults of Maggie's are minimised?

4. Do you have at least a waiting list of 10 people ready for Maggie's puppies?

5. Are you willing to take any puppies back if their new homes go wrong? This carries on throughout the dogs lives.

6. Do you have the funds to pay for a litter - you don't make a profit if you have the dogs' best interests at heart what ever anyone else says.

7. Is Maggie's temprement top form as you will have lots of people coming to see her pups and it can be quite over whelming for a bitch.

8. Do you have a mentor to help you through this litter?

Please please please think carefully about breeding as there are so many vizslas out there and they are not for everyone as they can be very challenging.

All the best
Anna

P.S If I have got the wrong end of the stick and you weren't planning on breeding her then I appologise

MAGGIE - aged 4, honest said...

Hi Anna

Thanks for your message - and yes, we are thinking of breeding from Maggie next year. At the moment there are a couple of those questions we can't say yes to - but rest assured we won't go ahead and breed from her until we can. We wouldn't do that to her.

all the best

Liz

Anonymous said...

That is really good to know. I am sure she is a gorgeous dog. Wishing you all the best with it. You must keep us updated as to how it is going.

All the best
Anna

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggie

My mum says she has been to america and she loved it. She said the meals are twice the size that you get in the UK so that must be good.

Also the american boys love an english accent so make sure you do your best 'queen's english' woof when you meet one.

love rufus

Delilah and Rocket said...

I've heard that when flying your dog get a direct flight if at all possibly to avoid getting disconnected with them at a layover/flight change. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

just wanted to check that I didn't offend you in anyway by posting my first post. You have obviously considered this deeply and want to do the best and really didn't want you to take anything the wrong way.

Sorry

MAGGIE - aged 4, honest said...

Thanks for the advice about America, guys. Will let you know how I get on.

And Ziggi and Pesto - no worries! It's nice that you care.

Maggie
x

Charlie said...

Ooh Maggie this is exciting news - but we will miss seeing you on Viz Whizzes. Mind you I'm still banned from them after being a naughty boy so perhaps if you ever come back this side of the pond i'll be allowed out again by then :-)